Wednesday, November 18, 2020

ECON Does What?! Career Outreach Intern for the Department of Economics

 

ECON Alumni Career Profile

career outreach intern

What do you enjoy the most about your position?

I enjoy seeing all of the work being done towards making opportunities and resources available to students in the department.  This position gives me a glimpse into what happens behind the scenes in the department and the pivotal role a career strategist plays. I also enjoy meeting many people within the department and also in other organizations that we work with for career events. Aside from being able to improve my people skills, this position has allowed me to conduct research which I enjoy doing, and also utilize my creative side as well. 

Could you explain more about your current responsibilities?

I am currently preparing content for the new website that the Economics department is launching. For this project, I have spent plenty of time conducting research to find useful information pertaining to the career options for students. I then add it to different web pages using Drupal to provide an easy to navigate and useful space for fellow students to explore different paths. In addition to working on website content, I have also been working on newsletters such as this one, Econ Does What, and The Competitive Advantage.  I also support other efforts such as helping with the coordination of virtual career events. 

Would you say the courses that you took as an undergraduate prepared you for this position? 
 
Many of the courses that I have taken have required me to do some form of research using the internet to find credible data and present it in a creative manner. I have had some software development classes previously that gave me some familiarity with coding. Although I have not been required to write any original code, having some foundational understanding of how they work has been able to get me through some hiccups in the process. Furthermore, as it relates to the website I benefited from other projects that I have been working on outside of school that called me to create websites.  Also, my business writing course has assisted me in crafting correspondence for alumni and other people in the department.  
 
Aside from your coursework, what else were you involved in and how did it help you develop professionally?
 
In addition to this position, I am also in the Caribbean Student Association and the Student Government Association. Through both of these organizations, I have been able to practice my leadership and communication skills. It was through these organizations, that I have grown to be comfortable with engaging with other students, building connections and working with a team. 
 
When searching for jobs and internships, what should students consider?
 
Search far and wide and do not be afraid to try new experiences. I did not know how helpful this position would be as someone preparing to enter the field  of consulting. This provided me with many new skills that I likely would not have been able to acquire in the other positions that I was looking at. It is also important to use the resources that we have access to. This includes the job board (link) and other career planning services (link). 
 
What piece of advice do you have for students pertaining to being successful during the pandemic?
 
Time management is key. I highly recommend using calendar apps on your phone to keep track of all of my assignments for work and school. This will allow you to take hold of your schedule and not miss anything. Also, pace yourself. These are uncertain times and it is difficult to get anything done properly if your mental health is not intact. 
  
What were you expecting or hoping to do after graduation?
 
Although this is not the senior year I imagined, I still find myself excited and optimistic for the next chapter. After graduation, I am looking to go into consulting while I am also considering pursuing my MBA immediately after graduation. In preparation, I have mainly been expanding and utilizing my network using LinkedIn and Terplink (link). I have also been reaching out to individuals and conducting informational interviews (link). Also, I have been studying for the GRE and looking at graduate school and job positions to apply to. 

If this sounds like an internship that can prepare you for your future, apply today!