Application Deadline: January 15, 2017
Columbia Business School seeks to recruit a full-time Research Associate (RAs) to assist with faculty research in the following divisions: Accounting; Decision, Risk & Operations (DRO); Finance & Economics (F&E), Management, and Marketing.
Under the guidance of Columbia Business School faculty, the RA will take an active role in on-going research projects in various stages from conception through publication. This position provides an opportunity to gain experience in academic business research and would be ideal preparation for a PhD program and other graduate study or careers in the data sciences. The work is overseen by a faculty liaison from the respective divisions along with the Director of Research.
Job Duties may include:
- Develop and implement models and simulations in Matlab, R, C++, Python, STATA, SAS etc.
- Perform statistical analysis, including regression analysis, machine learning, and other techniques.
- Collect, clean, and maintain large data sets and databases, using webscraping and other methods. Assist with data entry and ensure data integrity. Extract and link data from multiple databases for analysis.
- Assist with data analysis and dissemination of findings through the preparation of reports, journal articles, presentations, web sites, and other research outlets.
- Perform case-based research, including work with detailed primary documents.
- Assist in the organization of research programs including conferences, seminars and workshops.
- Prepare presentations for teaching and research projects.
- Monitor the status of multiple projects and ensure that interim and final deadlines are met.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Research.
Minimum Requirements: Demonstrated exceptional written and oral communications skills needed. Strong programming and quantitative skills required. Candidate must be organized and able to work on multiple projects simultaneously. Candidates must demonstrate through either prior work experience or academic course study an aptitude and enthusiasm for research. Candidates for the Finance and Accounting positions must have mastered either STATA and/or SAS. Candidates for DRO and Management must have mastered the use of Matlab and/or R.
Preferred Qualifications: Major in a quantitative discipline such as Economics, Finance, Industrial Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Operations Research, Mathematics, Physics, or Statistics preferred. Advanced coursework/training in statistics, mathematics, and/or computer science desired. Work experience in a research role, preferably in academic environment. Additional programming experience in the following languages is desirable: Python, SQL or C++
To Apply: Please fill visit our website and fill out the application at http://bit.ly/CBS-researchassociate and email your resume, cover letter, and transcripts via email to email@example.com. In subject line, type RA-Accounting, RA-DRO, RA-Finance, or RA-Management depending on division of interest.
If your skills, experience, and interests are a suitable match for our needs, we will contact you to schedule an interview.
This position offers salary commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and excellent benefits. For further information, visit http://hr.columbia.edu/benefits.