Public Policy and Legislative Affairs Intern:
- Track legislation and gather information regarding the Appropriations process and Older Americans Act Reauthorization
- Attend Capitol Hill briefings with Staff
- Draft communications to members, stakeholders, and legislative offices
- Perform research on topics relevant to senior nutrition programs across the country
- Synthesize knowledge on how senior nutrition programs participate in alternative food systems, particularly food hubs
- Synthesize knowledge on USDA senior nutrition programs, particularly Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program and Commodity Supplemental Food Program
- Input data into databases and other tasks as needed
- Preferred areas of study: food studies/food systems, nutrition, agricultural/applied economics, public policy, social work, law
- Perform qualitative interviews with member program staff to gather data related to program impact
- Interest or experience in statistics/data analysis
- Open to both undergraduate and graduate students
- Studying or completed degree in Nonprofit Management or Social Sciences preferred
- Interest in and enthusiasm for nonprofit organizations
- Passion for the mission of Meals on Wheels America
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Products—particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to work both independently and on a team
- Ability to work under pressure delivering a high degree of accuracy while meeting challenging deadlines.
MOWA will provide a stipend to each intern. The intern is responsible for securing short-term housing and transportation to and from work, as needed. MOWA is accessible from the Blue and Yellow metro lines in Crystal City, VA.
All interns are expected to commit a minimum of 8 weeks to MOWA. Business hours are 9 am - 5:30 pm, Monday-Friday. The schedule will be flexible and will allow for time off as needed. All interns will need to start on January 9th, 2017. Applications accepted until December 30, 2016.
Interested students can apply by logging in to Careers4Terps and searching the post’s ID number: 149700