Hours: 16-24 hours/week within a Mon-Thurs business hours schedule
Pay: $15 per hour (no benefits)
Green America is a nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a just and sustainable society by harnessing economic power for positive change (formerly Co-op America).
Our unique approach involves working with consumers, investors, and businesses. Our workplace reflects our goal of creating a more cooperative, environmentally sound economy. We have a participatory decision-making process that aims to build consensus within the departments and teams.
The primary responsibility is to assist the Editor-in-Chief and the Communications Team to write, produce, edit, and fact-check our publications ( Green American , the National Green Pages , and the Guide to Social Investing and Better Banking ), online content, and other materials.
- Editorial and Writing: Work with Editor-in-Chief and the Editorial and Communications Teams to create content for our publications and communications.
- Assist with preliminary research and outlining of each publication as needed.
- Write features and departments as needed.
- Write blog entries and Web content as needed.
- Work as part of a team with the Editor-in-Chief and the Associate Editor on the copyediting, proofreading, and legal review for each publication as needed.
- Assist in the fact-checking process for each publication as needed.
- Provide editorial assistance on special teams and programs as needed.
- Assist in the copyediting and proofreading of National Green Pages editorial as needed.
- Assist in postings to Green America’s social media accounts and updating web pages as needed.
- Project Management : Work with Communications Team to establish procedures and schedules for Green America’s print and electronic communication.
- Work with Communications Team in the planning and editing of our publications to ensure that goals and deadlines are met.
- Write and send contributor letters/copies after publication as needed.
- Excellent phone and email communication skills
- One year + writing or editing experience
- Excellent proofreader
- Passion for green-economy work!
Please send a resume, cover letter, and writing samples to Eleanor Greene, associate editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Editorial Fellow."