New America’s Education Policy Program is a think-tank industry leader in PreK-12, higher education, and the workforce. In addition to conducting research and analysis in these areas, interns will have the opportunity to publish their own blog posts and other work, attend events on behalf of New America, and gain exposure to some of the brightest and most ambitious thinkers in the field. They will also have the opportunity to attend in-house events, professional development, and off-the-record policy lunches with fellows and staff from other New America policy programs.
This intern will work closely with our higher education team and policy expertise in higher education policy is strongly preferred.
- Work approximately 15-20 hours per week in our downtown D.C. office
- Conduct research and analysis on education policy issues
- Write for the Education Policy Program’s blog, EdCentral
- Assist with planning and staffing New America Education Policy Program events
- Attend events and Congressional hearings on behalf of the education program
- Perform some administrative work supporting New America projects
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of higher education policy strongly preferred. Because of the content knowledge necessary for this position, a graduate student or experienced undergraduate student is preferred.
- Excellent writing and communications skills. Previous blogging experience or writing for a public audience a plus.
- Passion for education and equity issues.
- Intellectual curiosity, motivation, and a desire to learn on the job. Must be a self starter and have the ability to work independently and with a team.
- Strong research abilities. Some understanding of statistical analysis software (Stata, R) preferred.
Please submit a cover letter depicting your experience, current resume and a brief (no more than three 3 pages) writing sample. If the applicant has experience with statistical software, an optional coding sample may also be submitted. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, so early submissions (by Friday, July 14) are recommended. To apply visit the New America Website.