The Cato Institute is a public policy research organization—a think tank—dedicated to the principles of individual liberty, limited government, free markets and peace. Its scholars and analysts conduct independent, nonpartisan research on a wide range of policy issues.
- Perform general clerical duties to include but not limited to: answer phones, photocopying, faxing, mailing, document creation/modification and filing (hard copy and electronic).
- Meet and greet clients and visitors
- Resolve administrative problems by coordinating preparation of reports, collecting data, and identifying solutions.
- Manage meetings, conferences and event logistics (e.g. reserve rooms, arrange travel, provide handouts, order lunches, prepare materials, act as point person on day of event, and RVSPs)
- Provide switchboard coverage for the receptionist
- Assist with, and keep track of, scholars’ meetings and travel
- Manage and reconcile expense reports and receipts
- Managing the Downsizinggovernment.org website.
- Work with the mailroom on large print job requests for papers and publications
- Keep office supplies stocked, and local printers operational (including paper, ink), and deal with other technology issues (e.g. phones)
- Gather contact information for outside people/organizations
- Purchase books or other research materials for scholars
- Ensure that the most recent research is on display
- Managing multiple Facebook and Twitter accounts for brands including Regulation and Downsizinggovernment.org, list-building and preparing email communications to allied groups.
- A Bachelors degree in a social science field such as economics, political science, or public policy
- A deep understanding of Washington-based think tanks and their staff is a positive
- Will have basic quantitative skills
- Must have strong organizational, project management and communication skills
- Must have the ability to maintain a high level of accuracy, confidentiality
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and telephone protocol
- Must be detail oriented and able to work well on a team
- Must possess the ability to work under pressure and meet stringent deadlines.